Written by William H. Stoddard
Edited by Sean Punch
Illustrated by Peter Bergting, Guy Burwell, Paul Daly, Ramón Pérez, Dan Smith, and Jason Walton
GURPS Line Editor: Sean Punch
43 pages. PDF.
Stock number 37-1668
Always Available – Click here to buy!
You Have a Lot to Learn
GURPS is one of the rare few RPGs that lets characters improve between adventures as well as from them. The challenge is in making study interesting – perhaps even an adventure in itself. GURPS Social Engineering: Back to School is the ideal textbook for gamers who want to learn how.
Drama geeks will like the advice on making school-based stories exciting. Nerds will appreciate the new rules for learning and teaching. Popular kids will enjoy the discussion of social success at school – and how that translates to the community at large. Even jocks get a few words – not many, and mostly small ones – on body training and steroids.
And for the teachers out there, here's a summary in bullet points:
- Expanded rules for learning – both slowly, through study and intensive training, and quickly, by spending earned points.
- New character-improvement options like "converting" points between skills and attributes, and treating learning as a job.
- Game mechanics for instruction quality, covering the effects of Teaching skill rolls, texts, training equipment, and more.
- Details on how advantages, disadvantages, skills, and techniques (including several new ones) influence learning and teaching.
- A look at social considerations such as student-teacher loyalty, finding teachers, and making academic Patrons and Rank useful.
- Thoughts on running campaigns that use all this stuff, whether from the viewpoint of students, teachers, or school administrators.
Read up . . . it'll all be on the test!
- Back to School builds off the foundation of GURPS Social Engineering, the award-winning guide for all things social!
- For a ready-to-use campaign of mages at a medieval university, visit Locations: Worminghall.
- Have fun with a futuristic group of students (and adventure ideas they might have), thanks to Transhuman Space: Personnel Files 5 – School Days 2100.
- For a lighter (and crazier) educational experience, take a tour of the campus at GURPS IOU, the classic supplement for GURPS Third Edition!
- Discover a batch of sample schools – with GURPS Boardroom and Curia stats – and more, with the Back to School Designer's Notes from author William H. Stoddard, found in the pages of Pyramid #3/86: Organizations.
- Warehouse 23 offers worldbooks, supplements, and adventures, in physical and digital formats, for GURPS – as well as many of our other game lines. Surf our site for the files you want . . . and get them instantly with a credit card or PayPal!